Well baseball has returned for a new season, and thus I have some thoughts I’d like to convey, for my opinions to be better understood for the following season. So following are some of my opinions from this, the first week of the 2017 MLB season.
1. So this offseason was kinda boring right? Last offseason felt like it was way more interesting. On my front (being a Yanks fan) last season had a lot more trades to break down and analyse, and obviously the free agent class was a whole lot better. With a worse free agent class this year it felt certain we would see a number of blockbuster moves, but really the only one we got was the Moncada – Sale deal and maybe the Adam Eaton trade, but that doesn’t really feel like it counts. We got tricked into thinking maybe McCutchen or Quintana (not trading him still does not make sense to me) trades were coming, but they turned out to be almost cruel trick by the Sox and Pirates. All the free agents, except for the Desmond deal (although I shoulda bet on the Rockies doing something stupid.), went to somewhere that made sense. Along with that we didn’t get any laughable trades like last offseason’s Miller or Kimbrel trades. OK, maybe the Kimbrel trade wasn’t that bad, but I mean come on, Margot and Guerra and others for A RELIEVER, that won’t look great when you add up the wins in 6-8 years. Also we had the Giles and Chapman trades, and the Price, Heyward and Upton deals. Anyway, offseason rant over.
2. I think (well know) that I may have fallen in irrational love with Ronald Torreyes, he shouldn’t be more than a backup in future but he is so much damn fun to watch. From simply the best HR celebrations:
to his at bats immediately after the 6 foot 7 Judge that just has to confuse the hell out of the pitcher. Also it feels like total poetic justice that he would hit the first Yankee HR of the season.
3. CC has been awesome, he has totally reinvented himself since 2015 and it is so much fun to watch him carve up the Rays for five straight innings and then pitch admirably against a very talented Orioles line up. I think he will definitely come out of this season as the Yank’s strong number 2 pitcher with a low 4, high 3 ERA and being the awesome coach he is to the kids in the rotation. I just hope he pitches well enough to get another 1 year contract with the Yanks next year, and try to get win 250.
4. Am I the only one petrified watching Noah Syndergaard pitch. Don’t get me wrong he is still totally awesome and just amazing to watch, but I am just waiting for that one 100 mph sinker that takes the rest of his arm with it. The hitter would probably still whiff though. I mean honestly, the guy is unnatural, and when he had to come out on opening day I was legit terrified that it was more than a finger. In any case he is just insane to watch, and clearly the right kinda player for baseball’s future, but when he throws constantly over 98 for 7 or 8 innings it feels inevitable that his elbow will break, plus he’s on the Met’s so just me saying this will cause a Tommy John outbreak in their rotation.
5. Can we all just agree that Bumgarner is the second coming of Babe Ruth, he is definitely the number one batting pitcher in MLB, and we’ll see what Otani’s real skill with the bat is when he comes over at some point. I’m still cracking up over his response to Brandon Belt overtaking him on homers in the season: ‘It’s OK. I play tomorrow’. He is probably my favourite pitcher not on the Yanks and I would not be surprised if he drags the Giants kicking and screaming to a NL West victory.
Anyway, I hope this was useful for you to build a bit of knowledge around my baseball thoughts, and my surrounding opinions. I promise the next baseball piece will be less of me revealing my feelings about the sport, or explaining my origins.